From 24 July 2012, all e-tickets with a US city in the itinerary will have the baggage details for the first/second checked bag and carry-on baggage disclosed.
There are three possible baggage application rules that could apply to a ticketed itinerary that incorporates travel to/from/via the USA. These are as follows:
For travel via the USA (and journeys without an origin/destination in the USA) there is a single baggage application rule:
- IATA’s Most Significant Carrier (MSC) baggage applicable rule applies
For ticketed journeys that have an origin or destination within the USA (i.e. point of turnaround) the baggage application rule that will apply to a ticketed itinerary will be determined by the First Marketing Carrier (FMC) in an itinerary from the following two options:
- First Marketing Carrier (FMC) that has filed baggage rules/fare tariffs with the US DoT, or
- US DoT approved Most Significant Carrier (MSC)
Important Notice for passengers checking in with Air New Zealand
Where Air New Zealand is the check-in airline the following policies are currently employed.
1. For journeys with an origin or destination within the USA the US DoT checked baggage rule will be applied.
2. For journeys via the USA (i.e. that do not have an origin or destination within the USA) the IATA MSC checked in baggage allowance will be applied.
3. For journeys that do not travel to/from/via the USA the Air New Zealand checked baggage rule will be applied.